Monday, October 08, 2012

Day Six: Lazy Susans

I am a couple days behind on the challenge but I've got a really good reason: Thanksgiving! So I thought I would use some de-cluttering I did before I knew I would be doing the challenge. Should this count? Probably not. Do I care? No.

In our kitchen we have 3 food storage areas: one cupboard (chips, crackers, granola bars, etc.) and two lazy susans (one is baking supplies and the other is pasta, rice, soup, cereal, etc). They are all disasters. We did the cupboard a couple months back (and would need to be done again) but the lazy susans have not been done in a year or two. And boy did they need to be done. 

Our system was simple. I sat on the ground and pulled everything off of the first shelf. We sorted into three piles: garbage, keep and needing new container. Each pile ended up being big. We had things that expired as early as 2010. That's bad. 

The new container pile was for my new obsession with mason jars. I use them to can obviously, but I also use them around the house, especially in the cupboards. I use them to store rice, panko crumbs, barley, shredded coconut, various nuts, etc...  I love them because they are CLEAR. I can clearly see what is stored and I love the uniformity of it all. Things like rice and barley, I just tape the instructions to the side. I could probably figure a way to make it prettier, but this works and is easy.

Then I put things back on the shelf in an organized manner and again, it's looks awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment