Thursday, November 15, 2012

Recipe Recap: Ribs

On Sunday I made the most amazing ribs ever. Well I thought so anyway and I don't really like ribs to begin with. 

I even made them completely from scratch. Ok, well not completely, I didn't butcher the pig or anything. 

As I've mentioned before, I have my mother's talent for throwing stuff in a pot and it coming out AMAZING, and that is exactly what happened here.

This is what I did:

First I cut the ribs into three pieces (approximately 6 inches) and put salt and pepper.

Then I seared the ribs two at a time on super duper high heat in my dutch oven.

Once that was done, I removed the dutch oven from the heat and very slowly added a can of crushed tomatoes. (You never want to drastically change the temperature of any baking dish)

This is where the random throwing stuff in a pot comes into play. These are the approximate measurements: 
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp worchestire
5 splashes of hot sauce
Pepper

I then put the ribs back in the pot and put in to a 300F oven and cooked them for just over 6 hours. 

Again, these are approximate measurements, I started out with less honey and molasses and added more a couple hours in. It's all about personal taste, so you need to taste often to get it just right. :)

Like I said at the beginning, these were simply amazing! The bbq sauce was so awesome, we've actually kept the sauce to make pulled pork next week.

Go ahead and try this recipe, or something similar. You just might amaze yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment